Followers

Sunday, December 1, 2013

What I miss in class...

A while back I played in a CIF semi-final, and I am grateful for the opportunity.  Of course, we would have an in-class essay on that day!  So I gave myself a period's worth of time to write this essay.  Enjoy!


       Plato’s metaphor in the “Allegory” compares the human race to the prisoners in cave in an attempt to illustrate the limits of human understanding and convey what is possible with open-mindedness.  In my life, the allegory reminds me to be open to new people, ideas, and experiences, humble about our lack of illumination, and courageous enough to step into the light.
By using a metaphor, Plato can effectively convey his message.  Terms such as shackles grasp the reader’s attention and highlight the severity of our situation.  The contrast between light and darkness also masterfully explain our difficulty to fathom certain ideas.  The emotions elicited will make the readers try to change their lifestyles in order to “save themselves from the cave.”  It will make them humble, receptive and brave.  These are the three qualities that reading the “Allegory” makes me want to improve in my life.
Tethered in the darkness, the prisoners would discuss the shadows they could perceive.  When someone from the outside came and told them the actual depiction of these shadows, they laughed because they thought that they knew better.  Had they been more receptive, perhaps they would have a better grasp on reality.  So it is with our modern lives today.  With the expansion of the internet, there are a lot of sources out there.  Keeping an open mind is the best thing you can do to utilize this.  Many people out there are more enlightened than others in certain areas.  Take advantage of their enlightenment and allow them to help you.  Do not force them to drag you into the light, rather seek it out yourself.
Part of Plato’s purpose in the “Allegory” was to remind us how little we actually know.  IT is easy to get caught up in trivial things and to feel important because of your accomplishments.  The “Allegory” reminds us that our accomplishments may be nothing more than excellence at recognizing shadows and that we are missing the reality.  In my life, it reminds me to stay humble.  By taking a step back out of my narrow personal mindset, I am better adjusted to the light and capable of perceiving the entire picture.
The last thing that the “Allegory” insists that the human race needs is courage.  Only with the courage to step into the light can we reach illumination.  This goes along with trying new things.  Personally, I need to try to push the limits every once in a while.  It is part of my identity.  If I am not taking chances our leaving my comfort zone, I may as well be a prisoner in a cave, content to watch the shadows of the real world.  To go out into reality and enjoy life takes courage, but it must be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment