Followers

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Green Eggs and Hamlet

a) What do you know about Hamlet, the "Melancholy Dane"?  b) What do you know about Shakespeare?  c) Why do so many students involuntarily frown when they hear the name "Shakespeare"?  and d) What can we do to make studying this play an amazing experience we'll never forget?

A)  I am the first to admit I am not particularly enlightened about Hamlet, or Shakespearean literature in general.  Honestly, all I know about Hamlet is that he was a prince that made a soliloquy contemplating suicide.  Everything else I know would be going off the assumption that the rumor I heard about the Lion King paralleling the story of Hamlet being true.  If that is so, then the basic plot synopsis of the Lion King outlines my knowledge of Hamlet.
B)I know Shakespeare was a prolific writer who skillfully used rhyme and iambic pentameter in his plays.  I know that he wrote both comedies and tragedies.
C)Students groan when they hear Shakespeare because they are reminded of long texts where they understand a third of the words  and are constantly thumbing for footnotes.
D) To make studying this play unforgettable, it starts with us having a good attitude and being willing to actually enjoy this play.  With open minds and persistence, I think that we have a wonderful experience with this play.

No comments:

Post a Comment