Followers

Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Crossroads Between Should and Must

In a post entitled THE CROSSROADS BETWEEN SHOULD AND MUST please write a brief essay in response to the article (which you can read here).  Where are you in relation to the crossroads, and which way do you see yourself headed? Due Monday, April 14*

After reading the article "The Crossroads Between Should and Must," I find that I am farther away from Must than I Should be and closer to Should than I Must be. I have obligations that are set not by me and I follow them because that is what is expected of me.  There are times when I can fit Must into my schedule.  Those are usually times when I am happiest.  But my life as a whole is spent on Should Drive, with Must Road far in the distance.
 All week I am filling obligations.  Going to school, doing my homework, finishing my chores, going to practice. I don't see any potential for me to get where I want to be without doing these things, I suppose I must do them.  But they aren't things that allow me to be free; they are me playing it safe.  I want to improve my Spanish by traveling to Mexico and speaking only Spanish.  I want to spearfish because the thought of it scares and excites me.  The only way things like that are going to happen in my life is if I tell myself that they must happen. No thoughts of "it would be cool if...," only demands that I do it.  I must psychologically create a pile-up closing down the Should path leaving me the only option to take Must road.
 Fortunately, the summer presents itself with ample opportunity to change my path.  With more time and less obligations, I have no excuse not to travel must road.  Honestly, it is the only way my summer will be truly productive.
As my senior year winds down, I can see the crossroads coming.  It will be a difficult turn to make, I will not be able to predict what I will see down that road.  But if I keep heading straight, a plain and ordinary life is ahead.  And who dreams about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment