Followers

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Vocabulary #3

apostate-a person who forsakes his religion , cause, party
The preacher condemned the apostates.
effusive-expressing feelings of gratitude, pleasure, or approval in an unrestrained or heartfelt manner
I did my best to give my parents an effusive response when asked about my new shirt they bought me.
impasse-a situation in which no progress is possible, esp. because of disagreement; a deadlock
I only give up in math after working to an impasse.
euphoria- A feeling of great happiness or well-being
While surfing, the feeling I get is euphoria.
lugubrious-looking or sounding sad and dismal
Some days I just have to fight my lugubrious attitude.
bravado-Defiant or swaggering behavior
His bravado annoyed his friends.
consensus-general agreement
We talked until we reached consensus.
dichotomy-a division or contrast between two things that are opposed or entirely different
The writer was skilled at using potent dichotomies.
constrict-to make narrower
I felt constricted flying in the airplane.
Gothic-of, relating to, or resembling the Goths, their civilization, or their language
The Gothic mansion resembled those of an earlier time.
punctilio-a fine or petty point of conduct or procedure
Why argue over puntilios?
Metamorphosis-a transformation
He underwent a metamorphosis after high school.
raconteur-a person who tells anecdotes in a skillful and amusing way
My grandpa was an excellent raconteur.
sine qua non- An essential element or condition
Your attendance is sine qua non.
quixotic-exceedingly idealistic; unrealistic and impractical
His dreams were quioxitc.
vendetta-a blood feud in which the family of a murdered person seeks vengeance on the murderer or the murderer's family
The Capulets had a vendetta with the Montagues.
non sequitur-an inference that does not follow from the premises
Your argument is non sequitur.
mystique-An aura of heightened value, interest, or meaning surrounding something, arising from attitudes and beliefs that impute special power or mystery to it
The rabbits foot has a certain mystique.
quagmire-a soft boggy area of land that gives way underfoot
My feet got stuck in the quagmire.
parlous-full of danger or uncertainty; precarious
The situation seems hairy and parlous.

No comments:

Post a Comment