Followers

Friday, January 10, 2014

AP Prep Post 1.Siddartha

1.Siddhartha concerns the quest for spiritual enlightenment, and by the end of it four characters have achieved this goal: Govinda, Gotama, Vasudeva, and Siddhartha. Is the enlightenment achieved by each of these characters the same? Why or why not? What distinctions and similarities exist between the paths these characters use to reach their final goal?
http://danig14.blogspot.com/2013/01/1.html#!/2013/01/1.html
Each character attains enlightenment differently.  They have all lived different lives and had different experiences, so it takes different journeys for them to reach enlightenment. In all cases, the individuals experience enlightenment alone, thus emphasizing the variablity of enlightenment amongst individuals.
This type of question would require the ability to draw conclusions on the whole of a text after reading only a passage.

2. The main purpose of the first-person point of view in the passage, “I am no longer what I was, I am no longer an ascetic, no longer a priest, no longer a Brahmin” is to make clear?
a. The change in Siddhartha’s physical lifestyle, in order to follow his spiritual one
b. Show Siddhartha’s anger at the corruption present in his father’s position
c. Reveal the frustration in Siddhartha’s journey toward enlightenment
d. The views and beliefs of his family and his religion
e. Draw attention toward the excitement that Siddhartha feels now that he has less responsibility
I would answer e because the repetition suggests a strong emotion.  That narrows it down to b or e.  I didn't get the impression that he was angry, so I would answer e.
Ths question demands that I am able to recieve the message intended by the author.

 The phrase “he was more firmly himself than ever” on pg 41 can be most accurately connected to which meaning?
a) He was able to follow his on views to enlightenment
b) He has learned who he is
c) He excepted that he wasn’t fit to be a Brahmin or a Samsara
d) He had been enlightened
e) He was happy with the way his life was.
I would need more context to answer this question.  The quote to me however suggests that he has learned who he is, so I would answer B.
Once again, this question demands that I understand the message that the author was trying to convey.

Siddhartha's last exchange with his friend Govinda could best be described as
A
humorous
B
hyperbolic
C
self-indulgent
D
sarcastic
E
indifferent
http://www.learnerator.com/ap-english-literature/prose-passages-more-soon/siddhartha-with-the-samanas/questions/siddharthas-attitude
E, I believe I remember this from reading the text long ago.  I recall that Siddartha was very unemotional at his departure.
This requires a simple analysis of emotion in the text.

Siddhartha's primary attitude of normal human life was that it appeared
A
unenlightened
B
too cerebral
C
commonplace
D
commercial
E
illusory
http://www.learnerator.com/ap-english-literature/prose-passages-more-soon/siddhartha-with-the-samanas/questions/siddharthas-attitude
I would need more context for this one, but since Siddartha is in a perpetual search for enlightenment I would answer A; his attititude is that human beings are unenlightened.
Ths question involves the analysis of a character's attitude.  By paying attention to tone and mood I would be able to answer this question correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment