Followers

Saturday, August 17, 2013

1987 AP Exam

As all AP level questions, the questions on this test were pretty difficult.  Usually I can narrow down the choices and be fairly confident in my answer.  On this test I struggled on the poetry.  I actually did really well on the first passage, but not so much on the poetry passages.  I don't recall seeing as much or as difficult poetry on last year's AP exam, so that should be a focus for me this year.  Here is my take on a couple of questions from the exam.

10.  I thought this was an easy one.  The passage had just compared the human soul to glitter and said the angels "beat him down into nothing but sparks."  So, by little sparks, the author meant the human soul.

19.  I had no idea what the author meant by "wearing the Bays."  "Bays" was capitalized so I guessed that it was some type of clothing relevant to the time period, but I was incorrect.  Using context I could have guessed correctly that it had something to do with poetry.  Clearly it was an allusion that I did not get the reference to.

27.  These are the type of questions I like.  Basically by rereading the passage, I could see that poets lack greed, seditiousness, fraudulence, and gluttony.  All of these were supported by the text.  Nothing is mentioned about vanity, so the correct answer is D.

55.  There was just too much going on for me to follow on this one.  Retrospectively, I can see that muse serves as an adjective modifying "I," but while taking the test I couldn't trace it back that far.

56. On this one I struggled to follow the text.  I narrowed it down to A or B, almost went with B then changed it to A.  Next time I should question both answers and stick to my initial feeling if there is not a good reason not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment