Followers

Monday, August 19, 2013

Vocabulary #1

adumbrate -indicate faintly,report in outline
I was adumbrated for a surprise, but nothing of this caliber.

apotheosis - glorification to a divine level
Ancient monarchies had rulers who underwent apotheosis.

ascetic -one who renounces comforts in pursuit of self-discipline, often for religious purposes.
She was a austere ascetic; denying herself the pleasures of even reading too flowery of writing.

bauble -a showing ornament of little value
Their Christmas tree was loaded with baubles.

beguile -charm, enchant, or trick someone into doing something
On a cold winter day, I have to beguile my dog outside.

burgeon -flourish, rapidly increase
The views of my blog are starting to burgeon.

complement -completes or brings to perfection
An Alaskan quarter would complement my near-finished coin collection.

contumacious-stubbornly disobedient
The unruly 3-year-old was very contumacious

curmudgeon -a bad tempered or surly person
He was brilliant but his teachers marked him as a curmudgeon.

didactic- intended to convey instruction as well as pleasure and entertainment
I liked his sermons; they were very didactic.

disingenuous- insincere, usually by pretending one knows less than they actually do
He answered me disingenuously; he and I both know what happened to the last piece of cake.

exculpate -declare one as not guilty of wrongdoing.
The jury exculpated George Zimmerman of and crimes.

faux pas-a social blunder
I made the faux pas of asking her age.

fulminate -express vehement protest
I fulminated against my new curfew.

fustian-pompous language
Darcy's fustian speech turned Elizabeth against him initially.

hauteur-pride, haughtiness
Her manner was uninviting and hauteur.

inhibit-hinder, restrain, or prevent
My eyesight inhibited my acceptance to the air force.

jeremiad -a prolonged lamentation
He presented us with a jeremiad about how nothing was going his way.

opportunist -one who takes advantage of opportunities often at the expense of ethics
Looters are the worst kind of opportunists.

unconscionable-not reasonable, excessive
I felt the punishment was unconscionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment